Close We use cookies to improve your shopping experience. To give your consent, carry on shopping, or change your cookie preferences here.

Cut Price Kitchens Jargon Buster


50/50 fridge freezer - a single appliance split half and half between fridge and freezer.

70/30 fridge freezer - a single appliance where the fridge is 70% of the volume and the freezer 30%.

Built-In - with reference to double ovens this normally means they are housed in a tall or midi sized unit at eye level (note you can also get -built-under- double ovens which are smaller in height).

Built-Under - normally refers to single or double ovens that are designed to be housed in a unit under the worktop.

Canopy hood - a more traditional look where the extractor is housed in an ornamental canopy above the hob.

Ceramic hob - a flat glass topped electric hob that-s easier to wipe clean and heats up quicker than conventional electric -rings-. It uses radiant heat from beneath the glass to heat your pots.

Chimney hood - often made from stainless steel and normally incorporating lighting and a variable extraction fan. These make quite a statement in most kitchens and are usually specified to make a feature of the cooking area.

Conventional Oven - A conventional oven is hotter at the top than at the bottom, so you can use the top for food which can be cooked quickly and the bottom for food which needs to be cooked more slowly (i.e. Casseroles).

Fan oven - an electric oven incorporating a fan to circulate hot air evenly within the oven and speed up cooking times.

Free-standing - the opposite of integrated. These appliances are not concealed by a cabinet door and are not fixed to adjoining units in any way.

Halogen hob - these hobs use halogen light to provide the heat source.

Induction hob - An advance over the standard ceramic hob, the Induction Hob uses magnetic field technology to efficiently heat only the pan and not the hob itself.

Integrated - appliances that are concealed by a cabinet door giving the effect of looking like another unit e.g. an integrated washing machine or fridge freezer.

Integrated hood - an extractor usually mounted between 2 adjoining wall units with a matching door attached to conceal it.

Multi-function oven - these ovens offer the option of conventional or fan assisted cooking depending on the type of dish you are cooking.

Recirculating - refers to an extractor that is not ducted to the outside, but instead recirculates and -cleans- the air. These use 2 filters: a grease filter to remove airborn cooking residues and a carbon filter to neutralise smells.

Semi-Integrated - usually refers to a dishwasher with the control panel on the outside with a drawerline size door beneath it (on fully-integrated dishwashers the control panel is in on the top edge of the door and is revealed when you open it).

Sinks & Taps

Bar - a measure of pressure. The greater the number, the higher the water pressure you will need to operate a particular tap. These tend to vary from 0.1Bar to 1.0Bar and more.

One & a half bowl sink - a sink with 2 bowls, one normally about half the size of the main bowl and used for rinsing glasses, washing vegetables etc.

Undermount sink - commonly used with granite worktops, undermount sinks are installed beneath a very accurately cut opening in the worksurface.

Kitchen Parts

Bullnose - refers to a simple curved design used on the front edge of worktops and pelmets.

Carcass - a cabinet without its door.

Cooker Control Point (CCP) - an electrical isolation switch for a built-in/under electric oven. Often incorporate a single plug socket for other appliances. Generally located on the splashback area where it can be reached quickly if needed.

Cornice - decorative moulding attached to the front top edge of wall units.

Pelmet - decorative moulding attached to the front underside of wall units. These tend to be used to conceal under-unit lighting.

Plinth - or kickboard, is an upright panel at the bottom of base units used to conceal cabinet legs and stop dirt and dust accumulating underneath.

Fitters panel - sometimes known as a 'scribing panel', these are large panels that can be used as required to make shelves, filler panels, flyovers etc.

Splashback - decorative panel placed vertically between worktop and wall unit. Often used in place of wall tiling.

Upstand- a short decorative panel often matching the worktop material which forms a visual divide between the worktop and the wall beneath the wall units.

Unit - often used to mean a kitchen cabinet e.g. a 600 base unit.

Replacement end panels - these can be for base or wall units and are used if the sides of the cabinet will be seen and need to match the door colour/finish. This is often the case with gloss kitchens for example, where the standard cabinet will normally have a matt finish.

Highline base units - a standard base unit with a door and no drawer.

Drawerline base units - base units with a single drawer above the door (or above each door in the case of double base units).

'L' - shaped corner units - are right angled base or wall units that attach to both walls of a corner (do not use these corner units if the walls are not perfectly right angled - use a 'Straight' corner unit instead).

'Straight' corner units - are standard base or wall units which form one half of the L-shaped corner arrangement and attach to one wall only, as a gap must be left to allow for the corner post (please see this page for a diagram of this). They come supplied with one door that partially covers the front of the cabinet - the unit on the other wall then covers the remainder of the first cabinet and forms the other half of the L-shape. These cabinets also come supplied with a corner post to cover the opening between the doors of the two cabinets.

Pilaster - a traditional decorative filler piece that can be used to make a feature of a base or wall unit arrangement.